Sunday, February 16, 2014

Beast on the outside, beauty in the inside

I haven’t read the Frankenstein book, nor had I any interest in giving time to read it for I am no fan of horrifying characters. However, personally I am more invested in visuals, more specifically films. The Frankenstein film delivers the ceaseless wonders that science can do to break the grounds of morality. The ability to create man from dust to life only with the intelligence of how electricity can magnify moving matter in the body resulting to a beating heart – it’s classic science over playing god.


Contrary to the original trait of the monster in the book, the movie adaptation of making the monster dumb worked. It showed the morality in the character in contrast to its being – a monster. Making the monster dumb made him express himself genuinely with more sensitivity, emotions; which on the other hand the bride was made nothing less than how others look at the monster.

The last scene in the film carried me away into feeling sorry for the monster – his desire to only have a “friend” that wouldn’t be afraid of him, that would accept him made me think of him nothing less than any normal human being. It was a fantastic adaptation of the Frankenstein, which I then thought could be the scariest creature that could ever walk my imaginations.


Aedriane Celis

No comments:

Post a Comment