Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Starting the Spark


I'm not talking about the lovey-dovey sparks here. Valentines is over. The spark I'll be talking about is the spark of curiosity that should've been started by our science teachers when we were still in grade school – the spark that would have made us look at science in a different – and should I fearlessly say – better way.
Well this is what the Mind Museum in Taguig City is doing. The “mind movers” there are teaching children science in a more interesting way than making them memorize names of scientists and scaring them off with jargons and dates to be memorized. They teach science as if it’s a story that will surely fascinate children and make them hooked to it, really willing to learn more because it is indeed a large field to explore.
When mind movers spoke in front of us, I felt like a 7-year-old kid not only because of the way they talked to us, but also because the things they say gave science a different face, scratching away the scary picture my teachers from the past (I’m really sorry, but they drew a scary image of science in my head.) and this image they imprinted on me is much more colorful and much better than what I used to have way back.
The mind movers performed cool experiments using simple materials and gave explanations to the things that happened in the experiment, which actually happens around us too. They also made us perform activities that were oh, okay, awkward but still fun (if I let out the kid in me) and from all those, I learned. In fact, they were still in my head. Their method made my brain retain more information better.
Given all of this, I wanted to go take my family to the Mind Museum whenever possible. I want to take them to where their curiosity starts and lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment