Saturday, March 8, 2014

GOOD HARVEST

MARIA ANGELICA PINON
200927411

A Fictional Story
The morality of cultured organs
(Script Format)

http://aperdesign.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Room-217363268

Dark room. A man has his hands tied behind a chair, head hanging limply. The man seems battered and bruised, his clothes are ragged and have blood splattered all over. A single flickering light bulb is above him.

Man looks up and addressed the audience.

"I am Roberto Mercado. The man loved and hated by many. Called Demon by the church, and savior to some. A scientist, a doctor, a businessman, a dreamer and a realist. What for? For trying to create organs for the sick. For apparently I was playing god, I was called demon and an atheist. For creating organs outside the human body. Organs that would have saved lives without taking anyone else's."

" I lobbied for laws to allow organs that would save a dying man to be grown inside the lab. I spent years to show that the organs would benefit man not destroy them. I spent fortunes to save strangers, to prove my lifetime work's worth."

FLASHBACK 


"Years of research, of reaching out, of begging for funds, of proving myself worthy was spent. Years of dreaming, of wanting to see the impossible."


 Shows a man in a lab coat being frustrated with calculations and vials. 

"The research was never smooth sailing. There had been many times were it seems impossible. When everything seems nothing but a mere dream. When failures seem so hard to rise from. But I persevered because of my vision. I keep on trying. I live for nothing else. And I wont accept anything less but of my dreams"  

Shows protest of religious groups. Banners asking for prayers against the demon.
" Even after perfecting the craft, there are many who misunderstood my goals, my methods. There those who are quick to judgement, who calls for justice without listening to reason. But I never gave up. Even with the undue hatred I persevered."

Back to the dark room.
"Why had I worked so hard? Did I desperately want to save someone?"

FLASHBACK( He's around seven years old)
Shows a young kid, ragged and dirty.

"I was the ninth child in a family of thirteen. In this poverty it was natural for couples to have many children. More mouths to feed but also a lot of hands to work. Most children are overlooked. I was one of them, I do not know if they ever searched for me? Was I really kidnapped or sold? I want to believe that they did love me, that until now they are looking for me." 

Masked men in doctor's scrubs enter. Holding surgical tools. They encircled the boy. The boy screams, howls for a long agonizing moment.

"I was a kidney donor. A rich man needs a new one, and would pay for whatever means. They did not kill me. It is not murder they say, a rich man could do a lot with my kidney than I ever would, a filth a nobody."

Back to the Room:
" I do not know how I survived. How much I studied, how much more did I sacrificed. How I got to research. All I know is I dedicated my life for this. And when the research broke through a whole new nightmare began. The religions have called against my science. They question my motives and my method. How is wanting to save everyone without sacrificing someone else more despicable to what they had done to me. To what they consistently do to children, to real living humans. What is so wrong with my test tubes and my laboratory! I never wanted revenge. I just want to save everyone else without sacrificing children. How am I more despicable than those monsters who do not understand a thing!"

Hangs his head down. Like he is so spent. 

A man in red suit enters. He looks just like Roberto, but his eyes are cruel. Holding a knife.

"You are wrong. It is nature's decree that some has to die for others to survive. Stronger beasts have accepted that. We have to accept that. Why do we quietly wait for donors to die, to save ourselves or the people we love. I simply took it in my hand to ensure that they are organs for those that have money. And now you are on the way. Money and death is more natural than your science. Your dreams have been on the way for my power and for that you will suffer." 

Carves out Roberto's kidney.

" I am Alberto Mercado. I am the other you, the you who has chosen power. The you that cannot be saved, does not want to be saved. After being the victim, I've striven for power that my abusers have held. And now I will continue this cycle of life. After all, an organ from a real human is more natural no matter what is the method done. Hypocritically hoping for a love ones survival by praying for some stranger's death is what humans have basically done. I am a monster created by greed and flourishes with greed."






References:

Macrae, Fiona. ‘Grow your Own’ organs hope after scientists produce liver in lab from stem cell. Mail Online Health. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1286266/Scientists-grow-laboratory-liver-giving-hope-millions-diseased-organs.html. March 08, 2014.

Welsh, Jennifer. Scientist are solving our Donor Crisis with Lab- Grown Organs. Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/lab-grown-organs-2012-8. March 08, 2014.

Ryall, Julian. Human Organs can be grown in animals in a year. The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10132347/Human-organs-could-be-grown-in-animals-within-a-year.html. March 08, 2014.

Fadia Naser. Local and International Mafia kidnap and sell children’s organs. Tahani Magazine. http://tahani-magazine.com/index.php?page=article&lang=en&id=311. March 08, 20134

Organs for Sale. United Nations Regional Information Center. http://www.unric.org/en/human-trafficking/27447-organs-for-sale. March 08, 2014.

Archer, Dale. Body Snatchers; Organ Harvesting for Profit. Reading between the (head)lines. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201311/body-snatchers-organ-harvesting-profit. March 08, 2014.

Swinford, Steven. Girl Smuggled to Britain to have her Organs “harvested”. The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10390183/Girl-smuggled-into-Britain-to-have-her-organs-harvested.html. March 08, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment