Friday, March 7, 2014

Once You Go Mac, You'll Never Go Back

Have you always wanted to have your own Macbook? It's a great investment but a very costly asset.  However, there's always the saying that "once you go Mac, you'll never go back!".

Owning a Macbook is one thing but deciding what operating system to use is another thing.  Right now, my laptop is running on Mountain Lion despite the existence of an OSX update named the Mavericks.  

OSX Mavericks introduces a new compressed memory feature built into Mavericks that uses the RAM more efficiently compared to Mountain Lion. This means that improvements on the speed of the start-up, applications usage and web browsing will be observed, as the new compressed memory feature makes sure that apps that have not been used in long time are compressed to ensure that it won't affect battery life and computer performance.  That's a great improvement but I'm still not convince in getting an upgrade. 

OSX Mavericks introduces a feature that makes battery usage more efficient by showing the applications and their respective battery percentage share.  Through this feature, users will be able to cancel applications that take the most battery share to save energy.  This is very important because you wouldn't always get the chance to charge your Mac, especially in places without an outlet source.   Thank goodness Apple has thought of this.  It's about time. 

On the lighter side of things, OSX Mavericks introduced iBooks in laptops and desktops, making it not exclusive to tablets and phones anymore.  Apple also introduced the use of tabs and tags when organizing files in your laptop.  Through this feature, users are no longer limited to creating new folders every time they create new content but makes it easier to categorize same contents.  However, these are just minor improvements.  Nothing I'm really interested in.   



So, why haven't I switched to OSX Mavericks? Money is not a problem because it's free on the Apple Store (to mention that updating to OSX Mountain Lion costed almost $20).  Nor is internet speed a problem because Dilnet runs really fast in campus.  So why haven't I?

I haven't upgraded because updating to Mountain Lion made me skeptical about the OS updates of Apple.  Upgrading made my Mac's battery life decrease to 50%. What if upgrading to Mavericks decrease my battery life further, contrary to reviews provided in the internet? I cannot take that risk.  Upgrading my Mac made things all more confusing (from using a Microsoft OS) because of the new interphase.  I decided to upgrade because internet reviews were all positive so I said to myself, "why not try it?". Bad decision. 

But with these new features being introduced by Apple for OSX Mavericks, I might take a chance at upgrading my Mac. Apple just needs to make things right to make us feel that we are getting the most out of what we pay for. 

Kris Sarah Jeruta 
2011-41018

References:
White, S. 2013. Apple OS X Mavericks Review [online] Available at:
http://www.technologyguide.com/softwarereview/mavericks-osx-review/ [Accessed: 8 Mar 2014].


No comments:

Post a Comment