Friday, March 14, 2014

iOS 7 from an Android Lover :)



I love Android phones! I specifically bought my new Lenovo phone so I can enjoy the full features of what an Android phone can give me. I love how I can customize the look, the feel, everything!----Wait! This is not about Android, right? It is about Apple. It is about they’re operating system. I have never owned an apple product until now except for an iPod Nano (not the new one but the old one). Whether I own an Apple product or not, a lot of people are still on Apple product mania. So what about Apple now? They made a big move by updating their operating system (OS) on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This the iOS 7.
The iOS 7 is “the world’s most advanced mobile OS in its most advanced form” (apple.com).  It is the newest operating system for mobile devices that made a lot of buzz even for non-Apple users. Its flat and colorful design was in response to the current trend in design, which Android had already been following. Why it made a lot of buzz was because the fact that a lot of users complained that it was more a downgrade and than an upgrade.    .

The iOS 6 design was all about three-dimensional icons. For some, the icons look very professional as compare to the new OS. In my opinion, the new OS icons are very youthful and very colorful. The look and feel of the whole new OS does not fit the whole “professional vibe” thing. Just imagine the top CEO of a big international company using a yellow iPhone 5C with iOS7 rather than a black iPhone with iOS6. But I will not deny the fact that I actually like the iOS7 icons better than the old one. I like colors and flat designs. Apple mobile devices become more attractive to me and very appealing as it suits my taste in design. I also like how the icons were transformed in such a way that it looks very clean and neat. I saw an article that the icons were made from Microsoft Word! Nevertheless, whoever made the icons and how the overall look will be…I have to give him a slow clap!
A lot of iPhone users were very ticked off when Apple decided to remove the Google Maps app (iOS 5) and replaced it with the new Apple Maps app (iOS 6). This was very disappointing because I got to compare the two applications and I can say that Google Maps is much better. Apple made this move it wanted to gradually make itself independent from Google, however, with a lackluster and unpolished Apple Maps app as their replacement, it was a complete letdown. With this kind of “upgrade” from Apple, a lot of users began to  lack confidence with the arrival of iOS7. But I think they proved their users wrong this time.
    One of the features that iOS 7  introduced which was generally warmly accepted was the Control Center, a slide-up settings/tools tray. This was something present in Android from the very start and many Apple users were glad to see that Apple finally incorporated something similar. The Control Center allowed for quick access to common settings like wifi connection, brightness, bluetooth, and included shortcuts to tools such as the flashlight and calculator.
    When iOS 7  was first released though, there was a commotion around the battery life. Many users were complaining about a sudden decrease in their battery lives.
    Overall, iOS 7 was a much-needed update to the already stale previous versions of the OS. Android and other competitors were already innovating at a quicker rate than Apple and now it’s more like Apple just trying to catch up. Android had been using the flat UI design much earlier than when Apple did, and the quick toggles have been an integral part of the Android OS very early on. 
    Despite the improvements in iOS 7, I’d still choose a device running on Android than on iOS, simply because of the fact that I can do so much more on Android. iOS 7 is still too constricting for my needs. I love being able to customize my phone and do tasks on it that iOS 7 devices cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment