Sunday, March 9, 2014

Reaction Paper: Imelda Marcos

John Jason B. Santillan
2013-03535

Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marcos_visit_Johnson_1966.jpg
         The documentary showed what has become of  Imelda Marcos who was once the Philippines' first lady and was wife of former President Ferdinand Marcos. Throughout the film, I saw a glimpse of the immense power, wealth and influence the couple had on the Philippine political landscape. It was inspiring to see in detail the People Power Revolution and how it came to be. I felt empowered by the bravery and rhetoric of the Filipinos. The film showed the sequence of events that during and after the ousting of Ferdinand Marcos. It was both enlightening and saddening. The inspection of what's left of Marcos' property in the Malacanang Palace was shocking for me. I knew they stole a lot but actually seeing the extent really made me realize the gravity of their corruption. I disliked the fact the justice was so delayed to the point that Ferdinand Marcos died before any verdict was made. I understand that America was to obsessed with its Philippine military bases because it happened during the Cold War. What I could not understand was why given that the evidence is very clear, Imelda Marcos still has not been convicted to be guilty. The international community has sanctioned her but until now it's still unpaid. Within the Philippine state, cases against Imelda are still pending. What ticked me off the most is knowing that there off-springs have government positions right now in the Congress and in the Senate. I feel disappointed for my fellow Filipinos who have decided to forget about the Marcos' treachery and betrayal of the people in the past. The grave damage that they have done before is horrifying enough but knowing that the Filipinos actively allow the Marcos' to further perpetuate their motives by still electing them is regrettable beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment